Friday, February 22, 2013

To Common Core, or Not to Common Core

When I was a kid, the test that we took every year was called the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. Even back then I used to wonder, 'who decided these are the basic skills, anyway?' Now a days, they often use a type of standardized assessment called MAP testing. I know it's an acronym, but the title itself is telling, since it seeks to measure if students are where they're 'supposed' to be, when they're 'supposed' to be. Call it my rebellious nature, but I tend chafe at such things.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not an anarchist, subversive, or rabble rouser (at least, not too much), but I still don't like being told what to do. And, I especially don't like being told who to be. That's what common core feels like to me. I once heard Ed Dickerson, a long-time home school advocate here in Iowa, recount this anecdote:

A woman went into a shoe store and asked for a pair of shoes for her daughter. She wasn't quite sure what size the girl was, so she told the clerk to get what he thought would fit a nine year old girl. The clerk promptly returned with a pair of neon-green shoes that was at least three sizes too big. The woman replied that his choice wasn't going to work, and that he should try again. His reply was simply that there must be something wrong with the girl, since what he got from the back room was clearly labeled, 'nine-year-old girl shoes.' 

See what I mean? I understand the need to set goals and standards. After all, how can we know we're reaching our objectives if we don't know what they are? But, I take exception to goals and standards that are so specific so as to be stifling; so line-upon-line that they are limiting. In short, I don't like being told that it is my nine-year-old girl who is flawed if she doesn't fit the educational "shoes" handed down to her from some distant group of education wonks and bean counters. (Oh, dear - did I really say that!!??)

Allow me to redeem myself, if I may, to any teachers, administrators, or others involved in public education. I am, essentially, also an education wonk and bean counter. Sure, I might hide it behind my jean jumper, A Beka books, and late wake-up time, but I am a licensed teacher. Signed, sealed, and certified. I believe in education, and (for the most part) in the methods and institutions that deliver education to the vast majority of children around the globe. I understand the need for continuity across the curriculum, gradualism from grade to grade, and standardization. I also understand that wonks and bean counters really do know what they're talking about, much of the time. (If you don't believe me, just watch the movie Moneyball.) Therein lies my conundrum.

I didn't choose to home school because I was anti-something. I don't hate public schools. I am not raging against any machine. (Except my vacuum. Right now it's not working, which has gotten me pretty upset. But, that's a different issue.) I know home schoolers who practically froth at the mouth when they speak about public education. I know public school teachers who roll their eyes derisively and genuinely feel sorry for children who are lost in the educational clutches of their ignorant parents each day. Generally the former group is about as far from common core as you can get, and the latter is its biggest cheering section. Seriously, people - why can't we all just get along? Isn't there some sort of balance that can be found?

Someday, I hope someone will create a test that really captures who a kid is. You know - it can tell whether they're ready for long division, or know the difference between a direct and indirect object pronoun. But, it will also point out that they're excellent at diving, or playing the tuba, or being a help around the house. From this marvelous test, education experts (i.e., wonks and bean counters) will be able to create a new set of standards and benchmarks, uniquely crafted for each and every student, in order to capitalize on each gift and talent. Until then, I'm afraid my skepticism of Common Core will remain. Sure, I may refer to it periodically to see if my kids are traveling in the same general direction as most other kids, but mostly I'm going to have to stick to my own common sense, and the things that are at the core of our beliefs and destinies. It may not be as exacting as the Common Core everyone is used to, but it's served us well thus far.


3 comments:

  1. I don't think you need to worry about insulting even one teacher or administrator re: testing. For the last decade, every one that I met has criticized it- even before it started being used as a measurement of job performance.

    If you're really in the mood to get upset about the Common Core, check out Susan Ohanian http://susanohanian.org/ and Stephen Krashen http://www.ctunet.com/blog/professor-stephen-krashen-discusses-education-reform-high-stakes-testing-and-poverty-video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great resources - thanks for sharing. I don't know a lot of people who are thrilled about Common Core, but the ones who are sure are sold on it, lock, stock, and barrel!

      Delete
  2. "Someday, I hope someone will create a test that really captures who a kid is." Agreed!

    I laughed about the vacuum. Hope it's up and running now!

    ReplyDelete

Ooohhh... I love comments and conversation! Seriously. I'd sit you down with some nice, hot tea right now, if I could. Until I figure out how to get the cup and saucer through the screen, however, this will have to suffice. :)